Notes for Your Awareness and Understanding
Welcome to our Notes page! Even you are just a passer-by to visit our website the first time by chance or you are an interested candidate looking for an opportunity to work onboard an international cruise ship or you are one of our processing applicants, you will find this page compelling and helpful to enhance your own awareness and understanding:
1. Facts about Speedy Global acting as a certified agent for the cruise line companies in the world.
2. Facts about the international cruise line companies in the world.
3. Acknowledgement you should know before starting your job application onboard with the cruise line company.
4. Latest update from the cruise line company for your preparation.
5. And there will be more for you to read.
Keep visiting Speedy Global pages to update more daily!!!
Cruise Ship Job is for Life!!!
*** Cruise ship job is for life and you should consider it as a challenging and exciting opportunity to begin and improve your profession as a career. We would like to share some useful information for your own awareness and full understanding before starting to apply for a job onboard an international cruise ship:
1. Speedy Global is a Maritime Labor Convention 2006 (MLC) Compliant Manning Agent. We have all the policies and procedures necessary to fully comply with the MLC 2006 and all amendments thereof. We strongly believe in operating openly and transparently and therefore all of the major compliance information, our polices and our procedures can be found on this page for anyone to read: http://speedy.global/mlc-compliant-manning-agent
2. We are an official Manning Agent for Carnival Corporation Global Casino Operations (GCO) for Australia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. GCO is responsible for the casino operations on all Carnival Corporation ships, regardless of brand. However, we only supply for the English-speaking ship brands, which includes: Carnival Cruise Line, Cunard, Holland America Line, P&O Cruises, P&O Australia, Princess Cruises and Seabourn.
In addition, Speedy Global is an approved Hiring Partner for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL) for Malaysia, Myanmar, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam. We hire for HOTEL and ALL Brands within RCL.
3. Speedy Global and all of its sister or partner companies comply with the following:
- All money paid to Speedy Global or any of its sister or partner companies for any and all services will be receipted with an official and clear written company receipt.
- NO person working with or for Speedy Global can offer or guarantee of a job under any circumstances or for any reason.
- All job offers are made through Speedy Global by the employer and are completely at the sole discretion of the employer. Speedy Global CANNOT affect the outcome of interviews or the hiring process.
- NO person or entity associated with Speedy Global can charge a job success fee or interview fee under any circumstance or for any reason.
- All interviews with all Principals are FREE and NO deposits are to be paid to anyone.
- All references to third party fees and conditions are indicative only. Speedy Global DOES NOT take any responsibility for changes in third party fees or conditions.
4. The candidates must take the full responsibility in providing the accurate, true and updated documents/ information/ details to Speedy Global and the employer when applying for a job and being proceeded for the deployment. Personal and confidential documents/ information/ details submitted to us is for internal usage and reference with the employer only.
5. The candidates must comply with the Application Procedure and documents submission time-frame when applying and being accepted after the interview with the employer. Any delay in responding to and following the instructions can cause to CANCELLATION.
6. It is your responsibility to update/ provide Speedy Global on/ with any change/ renewal/ issuance of your required documents as soon as possible for our coordination with the employer to further proceed you. Any incorrect/ out-of-date information provided can lead to the delay in contacting you for further processing.
7. You must write to Speedy Global to ask for the information/ guidance on what to do regarding the application procedure, etc. if you have any concern/ question BEFORE starting to do anything. We will provide you with what we have been instructed by the employer for your proper follow.
Major and Minimum Requirements for any Cruise Line Jobs
Most of the international cruise ships have English as their common language. Some have other languages like German, Italian, Spanish and Mandarin. So you should check what is the common language and ensure you have at least an Intermediate level of it before going to the Hiring Partner to apply for a position. Speedy Global generally only supplies companies where English is the common language. The level of English you need depends on your job. If you don't deal with customers much or don't work at front of house, like working in the laundry or galley, then you need less English proficiency than if you are working as a Waiter or Housekeeper, who are required to communicate and entertain the customers regularly. The minimum level needed is enough to be able to carry out your job successfully and achieve all safety and training requirements on the ship.
Most jobs, though not all, on a ship require experience and qualifications! The experience and qualifications you need does vary depending upon the job and the level. For example, a Utility Cleaner in the Galley or a Hotel Cleaner in the Housekeeping will need less experience (say 03 to 06 months minimum) than a person applying for a Chief de Partie or a Stateroom Steward. But remember that there are no generalists on a ship! With very few exceptions, you will need experience and qualifications in the job you are applying for and preferably in a reasonable establishment: like a four or five-star hotel. If you are not sure then contact a reputable hiring partner who will provide you with the Job Description for the position you desire to apply with the cruise line!
- You must be at least 18 international years old and for many jobs (especially those working with Alcohol or in Casinos), you must be from 21 international years old.
- There is NO maximum age so long as you are medically fit enough to achieve the job and complete other tasks onboard e.g. drills, training, etc.
D. MEDICALLY FIT FOR DUTY
- You must physically fit. You will be required to do a general medical examination with approved doctors/ facilities that are allowed to conduct that kind of medical checkup per the cruise line's requirement regardless of which company you are working for.
- If you have any major issues with your health that can cause you are unlikely to pass the medical and you are not sure, contact a reputable Hiring Partner who can give you some clues of who to contact and how to contact for an advice. You need to be able to lift and drag 20 kg of dead weight.
E. TATTOOS AND PIERCING
- You can have tattoos, but they CAN NOT be visible when you are wearing any ship uniform. So generally if they are on your hands or face then that would make it impossible for you to get a job with most companies. Mostly, tattoos on the lower arms and legs are also a problem but it does depend on the uniform and the company that you are applying for so if that is the case then it is worth asking your Hiring Partner.
- Any visible piercing/s (except one set of earrings for females) are to be removed.
F. WORK EVERY DAY
- Of course you will have time to see a lot of wonderful places that the ship visits. However almost everyone on a ship must be well prepared themselves to:
+ work every day,
+ work 10 to 12 hours a day, and
+ work for 6 to 9 months at a time for one contract
- This is not as "bad" as it may appear at first read. But it is a major consideration. Most reputable Hiring Partners provide free information sessions that completely explain what the conditions are like and what you should expect to work onboard.
- When you work on an international cruise, you will be working with up to 80 or 90 different nationalities. Most people will come from a different religion and ethnic background to yours. They will have different beliefs and culture understanding also. While you do not have to adopt anyone's beliefs, you do have to always be respectful of theirs as they must be respectful of yours.
- You will normally be sharing a small cabin with one other person and that person, while being the same gender as you, will most like be from a different country. So you must be prepared to work, recreate and live with others and respect them regardless of their race, color or creed. So if you are a person who is empathetic to others, enjoys meeting and making friends with people from all over the world then cruise lines are definitely a good place for you.
H. GOOD MORAL COMPASS
Large international cruise ship can have up to 4,000 crew and over 5,000 passengers! So there are many sensible rules that are in place to ensure that everyone can work and play together. For example: fighting, bullying, sexist or racist comments, drinking alcohol to excess and other any social things that people with a poor moral compass might do are simply not tolerated. In fact most are grounds for instant dismissal. So if you have a good moral compass and you want to work in a safe and respectful environment then cruise ships are a good work place.
I. FUN, TRAVEL AND MONEY
Ultimately, working on a cruise ship can be a lot of fun. It is hard work for sure! But few seafarers will ever forget their time at sea and most of them look back on it with absolute fondness! While working on an international cruise ship, you will travel the world! You will see more than most "normal" people will see in a lifetime. Because food, accommodation and medical are all free on the ship, all the money you make is yours!
Get to Know Us
1/ About Speedy Global company:
Speedy Global "Global Talent Acquisition"
- The people in our countries represent more than 10% of the global population, and
- SPEEDY GLOBAL can help them all!
To be the best and leading Cruise Line Manning Agency in the world, with sustainable growth and a positive outlook on the future.
- Work diligently to ensure the world's best practices for our field.
- Continuously maintain and improve the quality of our products and services in an effort to provide modest profits for the Company.
- Ensure that all of our Candidates and Principals are treated with the care and respect that we would ask from our suppliers.
- Ensure that we always comply with all the standards of the current Maritime Labor Convention (MLC) and the Australian Migration Agents Registration Authority's Codes of Conduct regardless of where we operate in the world.
What do we do?
>>> Cruise Line Manning - MLC Compliant Manning Agent
Speedy Global is an MLC Compliant Manning Agent. We supply candidates from throughout Asia to the cruise line industry. We have all the policies and procedures necessary to fully comply with the Maritime Labor Convention 2006 and all amendments thereof. We strongly believe in operating openly and transparently and therefore all of the major compliance information, our polices and our procedures can be found on our website for anyone to read.
1. Private Seafarer Recruitment and Placement Services
2. Standard Service Offering for Cruise Line Manning
3. Anti-Bribery and Corruption Policy
4. Complaints Policy
>>> All documentation released by Speedy Global will be reviewed and revised frequently to keep the information up-to-date and according to present policies and procedures. Latest version of the documentation will be published and available for our candidates for the reference.
>>> You are also welcome to visit Speedy Global's social media pages for further information at:
- Website: http://speedy.global/
- Facebook: Speedy Global @speedy.global.int | Casino At Sea @casinoatsea
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/speedyglobal
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/speedyglobal/
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_9ln9ffCdfZr_icSKlNHDw/featured
>>> Speedy Global is the registered and certified Manning Agent/ Hiring Partner for the international cruise lines, we are NOT the cruise lines.
2/ About Carnival Corporation Global Casino Operations (GCO) company:
- "Global Casino Operations is the largest and most popular casino operator onboard cruise ships. The nine brands we work with collectively serve over 10 million guests a year. Combined, these lines operate more than 100 cruise ships that sail to the most exciting destinations around the world. Everyone is unique - we take your personality and skills into consideration - and try to match you to the brand we think you'd suit best. Ultimately, we have to meet operational requirements across all the companies and the final decision as to which ship/cruise line you join will be decided by Global Casino Operations." - extracted from "About Us" section of GCO's official website.
- "We are the largest and most popular casino operator onboard cruise ships. The brands we work with collectively serve over 10 million guests a year. From Rome to Tokyo and from Miami to Alaska, Global Casino Operations allows you to become the ultimate world explorer ... Carnival Corporation & plc, the world's largest leisure travel company, provides travelers around the globe with extraordinary vacations at an exceptional value. One of the best perks of this job is that you get to do a substantial amount of travel - while getting paid! ... The company's portfolio of global cruise line brands includes Carnival Cruise Line, Fathom, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn in North America; P&O Cruises (UK) and Cunard in Southampton, England; AIDA Cruises in Rostock, Germany; Costa Cruises in Genoa, Italy; and P&O Cruises (Australia) in Sydney. Together, these brands comprise the world's largest cruise company with a fleet of 101 ships visiting more than 700 ports around the world ... Of these, we specifically hire for Carnival, Cunard, Holland America Line, P&O Australia, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises & Seabourn. Collectively, these brands are operating 75 casinos, and our team is 2,500 staff strong ... A total of 15 new ships are scheduled to be delivered to Carnival Corporation between 2016 and 2020. With new ships being built all the time, we are constantly growing!" - extracted from "Learn More" section of GCO's official website.
- Speedy Global is a specialist provider of Asian Casino workers to International Cruise Ships. We have supplied crew from all over Asia and we are an official Manning Agent for Carnival Corporation Global Casino Operations (GCO) since 2014 for Australia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
- GCO is responsible for the casino operations on all Carnival Corporation ships, regardless of brand. However, we only supply for the English-speaking ship brands, which includes: Carnival Cruise Line, Cunard, Holland America Line, P&O Cruises, P&O Australia, Princess Cruises and Seabourn.
>>> Speedy Global runs this Casino At Sea Facebook page especially to advertise information about GCO and update about our candidates proceeded for joining with GCO.
3/ About Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL):
- "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. comprises six distinctive companies that share a vision anchored in excellence." - extracted from "About Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd." section of RCL's official website.
- "The six companies of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. employ 60,000 people from more than 120 countries, who have served more than 50 million guests over the past four decades. We look forward to extending our warm hospitality and delivering extraordinary experiences to every guest who sails with us." - extracted from "Our Six Brands" section of RCL's official website.
1. Royal Caribbean International
2. Celebrity Cruises
3. TUI Cruises
5. Azamara Club Cruises
- Speedy Global is an approved Hiring Partner for Royal Caribbean Cruises ltd. (RCL) for Malaysia, Myanmar, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam. We hire for HOTEL Department and ALL Brands within RCL. This includes Azamara, Celebrity, Croisieres de France, Pullmantur, Royal Caribbean International and TUI Cruises.
Carnival Corporation Global Casino Operations (GCO)
1. QUALITIES REQUIRED
"It's not for everyone - we're in the vacation business, and great customer service is at the heart of what we do. It's essential that you have a pleasant, fun loving nature, are genuinely interested in people, and can provide a high level of guest courtesy each and every day by chatting with our players ... Talking to the guests during the casino games is not only permitted but required, providing that it does not affect the speed or security of the game. Guest service is so important to our Operation that you are strongly advised not to pursue a career with us unless you are prepared to meet our standards within this area. We want our players to have fond memories of their time with us, in the hope they'll soon return ... You should be an adventurous, energetic person with an outgoing personality able to cope with the challenges of living and working within a close-knit community of team members from numerous countries, different cultures, backgrounds and beliefs to your own ... Spending time in this type of environment means that a co-operative and tolerant attitude is expected of you when dealing with your teammates and colleagues from other departments onboard. Several hundred crew members operate a ship efficiently because they all adhere to certain standards of behavior and abide by the same rules and regulations. Applicants who have difficulty in accepting discipline are urged to seek employment in a less restrictive environment." - extracted from "Qualities Required" section of GCO's official website.
2. CAREER POTENTIAL
"Though many staff are hired in entry level positions with limited industry experience, we do our best to recognize applicants who already possess sufficient relevant experience, aptitude and skills in the business to have them join our team in a higher position ... We're pretty good at identifying team members that are mentally prepared and have acquired the skills needed for future success ... "On the jo training also exists, and if you're interested, career advancement is up to you once onboard. Though it is a fast paced environment, you won't be in competition with others for promotion - go at the speed you can personally handle with our guidance ... Given time to prove you have the will to learn, the ability to adapt, the patience to accept and the ambition to succeed, you'll do well with us." - extracted from "Career Potential" section of GCO's official website.
3. LEARN MORE
"We are the largest and most popular casino operator onboard cruise ships. The brands we work with collectively serve over 10 million guests a year. From Rome to Tokyo and from Miami to Alaska, Global Casino Operations allows you to become the ultimate world explorer ... Carnival Corporation & plc, the world's largest leisure travel company, provides travelers around the globe with extraordinary vacations at an exceptional value. One of the best perks of this job is that you get to do a substantial amount of travel - while getting paid! ... The company's portfolio of global cruise line brands includes Carnival Cruise Line, Fathom, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn in North America; P&O Cruises (UK) and Cunard in Southampton, England; AIDA Cruises in Rostock, Germany; Costa Cruises in Genoa, Italy; and P&O Cruises (Australia) in Sydney. Together, these brands comprise the world's largest cruise company with a fleet of 101 ships visiting more than 700 ports around the world ... Of these, we specifically hire for Carnival, Cunard, Holland America Line, P&O Australia, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises & Seabourn. Collectively, these brands are operating 75 casinos, and our team is 2,500 staff strong ... A total of 15 new ships are scheduled to be delivered to Carnival Corporation between 2016 and 2020. With new ships being built all the time, we are constantly growing!" - extracted from "Learn More" section of GCO's official website.
Communicate in ENGLISH, please!
PAY ATTENTION, PLEASE!
. Speedy Global is currently a certified Manning Agent for Carnival Corporation Global Casino Operations (GCO) for Casino Dept. in Australia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam countries.
. Speedy Global is currently an approved Hiring Partner for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL) for Hotel Dept. in Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam countries.
=> Due to the variety of countries Speedy Global is dealing with, kindly ensure to communicate in English whenever you write to Speedy Global International on email, Facebook pages, website's Feedback forms, etc. so that our team can review your enquiry and respond accordingly.
=> Thank you for your understanding and we are looking forward to your cooperation!
. Cruise Ship Job is for life and you should consider it as a challenging and exciting opportunity to begin with and to improve your career.
. Each position has its own requirements but some requirements may apply to all positions, including:
- Have previous/ relevant experience at the similar role and/ or have specific qualifications/ licenses/ certificates,
- Have positive attitude and passion to improve your profession with the cruise line industry,
- Have good English communication and comprehension skills, any other third language knowledge is a plus,
- Be medically "Fit for Duty" for the specific position onboard without any restrictions/ concerns,
- Have personal documentation e.g. valid Passport, successful Criminal Background Check, valid Visa(s) as required towards your nationality to remain the deployment with the cruise line company or for any transit purpose after being assigned by them,
- Have finance to cover some certain costs to obtain the documentation during the deployment progress such as complete Medical Checkup for a seafarer, Seaman's Documents, Visa application(s), Joining air ticket and Other travel related costs, etc.
. When applying for a job and being proceeded for the deployment, the Personal information and Documentation submitted must be accurate, true, complete and updated.
. The successful candidates (being accepted and offered a position onboard AFTER the final interview with the cruise line company) must comply with the Application Procedure and documents submission time-frame.
. Any change/ renewal/ re-issuance of any required documentation must be informed and submitted for the update on the system.
. The successful candidates (being accepted and offered a position onboard AFTER the final interview with the cruise line company) must follow the guideline and instruction during the deployment progress to obtain what is asked for by the cruise line company in order to sign on/ be ready for the assignment coming in the future.
Get to Know the Job Application Procedure with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL)
A. RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
When endorsing candidates to the Recruiters, this process should be observed:
- Complete application in C-trac.
- Candidate should be assigned to the respective Recruiter.
- Candidate should have a valid Passport (valid for another year from the date of Offer and sign-on).
- Candidate should have ready Employment certificates and Training certificates (as required by the role).
B. TURNAROUND TIME:
1. After passing the final interview with the Recruiter and being offered a position suitable for your working experience and performance at the interview, Offer Acceptance should be within 24-48 hours from the time the offer was extended.
2. Completion of Personal Data Form and uploading of Passport should be within 72 hours from the time the offer was extended.
3. Background Check links must be opened and completed within 01 week of Crew ID number creation.
C. NEW HIRE DOCUMENTATION:
Before joining the assigned vessel, all New Hire Documentation, including New Hire Verification Form, Offer Letter, Background Check (Intl), Personal Data Form, New Hire Checklist, NBI/ Police Clearance, RCL Medical Certificate, Visa, Seaman's Book, Passport, STCW and Travel Itinerary must be:
2. Reviewed and validated by the Hiring Partner
3. Marked as completed in the system
D. NEW HIRE VERIFICATION FORM:
- Both tabs "Employer" and "Reference" must be filled out completely:
+ Employer - previous employers
+ Reference - professional/ personal reference
- If this is an entry level position and they have no previous work experience, there must be an explanation in the Notes section of the New Hire Verification Form.
E. BACKGROUND CHECKS/ POLICE CLEARANCE:
1. Background Checks/ Police clearance must be done within 06 months of joining the assigned vessel.
2. Link must be checked within 01 week of Crew ID number creation or it will be marked as expired and a new link needs to be sent.
F. MEDICAL CERTIFICATE:
- Medical result and Medical certificate must be Fit for Duty.
- Crew members must have a complete set of the original medical result as well as the Medical Certificate in hand when joining the assigned vessel.
- Medical must be done within 06 months of joining the assigned vessel.
- Pullmantur has created their own Medical form; the content is the same â€“ only the logo is different.
G. NEW HIRE CHECKLIST:
All statements on the checklist should be reviewed with the candidate and marked with "Agree".
H. LAST LEG OF TRAVEL:
- Last Leg of Travel - Emphasize how critical it is for the Flight details to be entered in C-trac prior to joining the assigned vessel.
- Exceptions to this are expected if the cruise line company has made a lastminute change to the assignment or if they are using local ground transportation; NO other reason is acceptable.
Don'ts for Crew Members working with Cruise Line Company
1. Drug storage, possession, transportation and usage:
- There is zero tolerance for drug storage, possession, transportation and usage.
- In order to work onboard, you must be drug free.
- Please be aware that codeine and sleeping pills may affect your drugs test somehow.
- Drug storage, possession, transportation and usage are causes for immediate termination. If you are caught with drugs in your possession in a foreign country, you may be charged and imprisoned per the law in that country.
- When being onboard, you may be tested for drugs at any time. If your test result is positive, you will be sent home immediately. Drugs can remain in your system for up to 12 weeks and if you test positive, your career with the cruise line company will be over before it begins.
- There is zero tolerance for harassment of any nature.
- Every crew member is responsible for keeping a safe, harmonious working and living environment onboard.
- Any way of harassment is cause for immediate termination.
3. NO discrimination or bullying is allowed.
4. Safety at Sea first:
- Rules and regulations are necessary for the ship to function in a safe, secure and comfortable environment for both crew and guests. As a matter of safety at sea, all crew members are required to participate in safety drills on a regular basis.
- Any crew with any kind of policies/ regulations violation at the workplace result in causing the cruise ship/ guests/ crew in danger will be discharged. The Captain of the ship is the commander of all and the final decision maker as well.
5. NO guests are allowed in crew cabins!
- Any violation of this rule will result in termination/dismissal.
6. You are NOT permitted to remove any food or utensils from the mess/dining room.
7. Alcohol usage:
- You are NOT permitted to become inebriated or intoxicated while on your contract.
- You are NOT allowed to drink alcohol while on duty.
- Violation of either of these rules is grounds for dismissal.
- Any crew drinking alcohol over the allowance limit when being breathalyzed at any time will be sent home immediately.
8. NO cabin parties are allowed.
9. Any crew with any kind of fighting/ violence involvement will be discharged.
10. Any kind of breaching the contract:
- You are asking for Emergency Leave in the middle of your contract for your own emergency. But you fail to comply with the cruise line company's procedure in order to be considered for re-assignment to come back to work onboard e.g. failure to provide the proof documentation to support your Emergency Leave request or failure to update the cruise line company the time frame you are available for being re-assigned within their time allowance or failure to communicate with the company to keep them updated on your current status, etc.
- You never come back to work onboard again after having settled your own problem back home.
(Source: We have used some information from Carnival Corporation Global Casino Operations's website and Steiner - The Onboard Spa's Starter Pack for our reference.)
[VACCINE CORNER] - Yellow Fever
FAQs regarding Yellow Fever (YF) vaccination for travelers/ crew members
1. Who needs to be vaccinated?
Travelers from below countries or crew members joining the assigned vessel that is going to sail to one or many countries from below:
Trinidad & Tobago
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
2. Why is the measure implemented?
- At the suggestion and guidelines of the World Health Organization and the International Health Regulations, many countries will enforce a new policy requiring all travelers from a select group of countries to have proof of vaccination against YF as of 2018 in order to prevent importation of Yellow fever into their countries. This proof should be in the form of an International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP), also known as the Yellow Book.
3. When is (re-)vaccination necessary?
- For validation purposes, the travelers must apply the vaccine at least 10 days prior to departure. That is, travelers must be vaccinated at least 10 days before entering the country that requires a proof of YF vaccination.
- If the traveler, vaccinated previously, still keeps his/ her YF vaccination document (ICVP), he/she should NOT be re-vaccinated.
- If the traveler lost his/ her certificate of YF vaccination, he/she must re-vaccinate. This does NOT entail any additional risk of side effects.
4. Are there any exceptions to this requirement?
- Additional (medical) exceptions to this requirement are:
+ Immunocompromised individuals from the following: symptomatic HIV infection or AIDS, Malignant neoplasms, Primary immunodeficiency diseases, Transplantation, Immunosuppressive or Immunomodulatory therapy, Radiation therapy.
+ People with a Thymus disorder.
+ People with a history of Acute hypersensitivity reaction to any component of the vaccine (including gelatin, eggs, egg products, or chicken protein).
- If, the passenger has any of the above-mentioned medical contraindications for YF vaccination, an up-to-date medical waiver instead of administering the vaccine is permissible.
5. Important to highlight for Airlines and Cruises:
- The same rules that apply to passengers, also apply to cabin crew and non-flying management.
- Regardless of these requirements, it is recommended that all crew members be vaccinated against YF, if traveling regularly to countries considered being at risk.
(Source: We have referred to “FAQ Yellow Fever Vaccine | Aruba.com” for this section.)
6. Where can people get more information on Yellow Fever?
"Yellow Fever" World Health Organization (WHO)
(Source: We have referred to “Yellow Fever Symptoms, Vaccine, Treatment & History on medicinenet.com” for this section.)
[VACCINE CORNER] - Measles, Mumps and Rubella
FAQs regarding Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccination for travelers/ crew members
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that people get MMR vaccine to protect against Measles, Mumps and Rubella.
- Teens ad Adults should also be up to date on their MMR vaccination.
1. Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Diseases and How to Protect Against Them?
- Measles causes fever, rash, cough, runny nose, and red, watery eyes. Complications can include ear infection, diarrhea, pneumonia, brain damage, and death.
- Mumps causes fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness, loss of appetite, and swollen salivary glands. Complications can include swelling of the testicles or ovaries, deafness, inflammation of the brain and/or tissue covering the brain and spinal cord (encephalitis/meningitis) and, rarely, death.
- Rubella causes fever, sore throat, rash, headache, and red, itchy eyes. If a woman gets rubella while she is pregnant, she could have a miscarriage or her baby could be born with serious birth defects. You can protect against these diseases with safe, effective vaccination.
2. MMR Vaccine Side Effects:
- The MMR vaccine is very safe, and it is effective at preventing measles, mumps, and rubella. Vaccines, like any medicine, can have side effects. Most people who get MMR vaccine do not have any serious problems with it. Getting MMR vaccine is much safer than getting measles, mumps or rubella.
- Common Side Effects of MMR Vaccine:
- Sore arm from the shot
- Mild rash
- Temporary pain and stiffness in the joints, mostly in teenage or adult women who did not already have immunity to the rubella component of the vaccine.
(Source: We have referred to “Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Vaccine Safety on cdc.gov” for this section.)
3. Who Should Get MMR Vaccine?
- Adults who do not have evidence of immunity should get at least one (01) dose of MMR vaccine.
- Teenagers and Adults who do not have evidence of immunity against Measles should get two (02) doses of MMR vaccine separated by at least twenty-eight (28) days.
4. What is MMRV Vaccine?
- MMRV vaccine protects against four (04) diseases: Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella (or Chickenpox).
(Source: We have referred to “Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Vaccination: What Everyone Should Know on cdc.gov” for this section.)
- Nowadays, the cruise line companies mostly require the proof of taking MMR vaccine ONLY.
1. Carnival Corporation&PLC (GCO):
- Per the latest advisory from Carnival Medical Department, Varicella vaccination is NO longer required and NOT a mandatory component of CCL medical examination form.
- Casino team members scheduled to join any vessel of Carnival fleet or any of other fleets e.g. Princess, Holland America, Cunard, Carnival Australia, etc., are NOT required to obtain Varicella vaccination.
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine is still mandatory for ALL Casino team members and this vaccination (or TITER) must be obtained.
2. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL):
- Proof of taking Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine is required because this vaccine is mandatory for ALL crew members onboard with RCL.